Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Seriously Underrated Books You Need to Read


I recently came across a Buzzfeed article that shared some of the most underrated books that their audience thought should be on people’s lists. Well, a few of them definitely made my to-read list and I thought I would share them with you today!

A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott



We all know Louisa May Alcott for Little Women. Alcott was a woman straight out of the pages of women’s suffrage history as the first woman to register to vote in Concord, Massachusetts. Little Women was a semi-autobiographical account of her childhood. I loved Little Women and was excited to see another book with Alcott’s name on it. A Long Fatal Love Chase was published in 1995, well after Alcott’s death. It takes you on a journey with a young woman during Victorian times who flees her husband and then pursues her across Europe.


The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks



The cover was the first thing that caught my attention with this novel (I’m often time a cover shopper). Then I looked up the book on Amazon to get the summary and I was hooked. It sounds so bizarrely entertaining!

Meet Frank Cauldhame. Just sixteen, and unconventional to say the least: 

Two years after I killed Blyth I murdered my young brother Paul, for quite different and more fundamental reasons than I'd disposed of Blyth, and then a year after that I did for my young cousin Esmerelda, more or less on a whim. 

That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again. 


Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn




The English geek in me was absolutely intrigued by the concept of this novel. Dunn takes us on a fun linguistic journey through South Carolina and the home of the inventor of the phrase “The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog”. The townspeople erect a statue in his honor but one by one tiles begin falling off the statue. The leaders of the town see this as a message from beyond and ban the use of each letter as it falls. The book progresses with fewer and fewer letters until only a few remain and Ella discovers the phrase that will save their language. Seriously ordering this one NOW.



No comments:

Post a Comment