Friday, November 4, 2016

Game of Thrones Book Club - #1




I don’t know about you guys but, I am a HUGE fan of Game of Thrones. Now, since I am an avid reader (obviously) I almost always read the book before I watch the movie or TV show. This has been the one exception. I started to read the books back during Season 2. Then, my husband asked me to stop reading so that we could watch the show together and be surprised. He was so adamant that I just couldn’t say no. So, here we are like 5 years later and it’s now safe to pick up the series and start reading.

Since this is a really sad time of year when GOT isn’t on TV, I figured it would be the perfect time to get through the books. A couple friends of mine at work wanted to re-read them too so we decided to do a little Game of Thrones book club!



It’s nothing really super official, but it is just the excuse I needed to get reading. The books are long and not easy reads (think Tolkein-esque) so I wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to get through them. We are tackling one book each month then getting together for lunch once a week to discuss (or talk football…that happens a lot.)

It’s an interesting experience reading the books now that I already know what happens. I will admit that it’s made some of the “oh my god did they really just kill that character” moments a bit easier to handle. Also, knowing who the characters all are ahead of time and how they all line up with each other has really helped too. When I started reading the first book way back in the day, I was overwhelmed by the number of characters and trying to keep up with them was difficult.

I’m just about done with the first book and am so excited to be reading this series. I can’t wait to start book number 2! My goal is to share a bit with you about each book and of course, give you a good wine to pair with it. Happy reading friends!

Game of Thrones Book 1 – Pair This With:

Wolf Blass Shiraz/Cabernet




Since Book 1 is really all about the Starks and their sigil is the Direwolf, I figured this was the perfect wine to get you into the GOT spirits. Wolf Blass wines are really great, inexpensive wines from Australia. This blend of Shiraz and Cabernet is super smooth but balanced in flavor with bright berries and a slight spiciness. Sip on this and get in touch with your inner wolf!


No comments:

Post a Comment