Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Winery Wednesday - Rutherford Hill






To celebrate our 5th anniversary, my husband and I were lucky enough to get the chance to travel out to Napa Valley. It was on my bucket list of places to go and believe me - it did NOT disappoint. Our trip was fairly short - only 4 days but we got to experience a ton while we were there. We never stayed in the same place two nights in a row.

Obviously, wine tasting was at the top of my list of to-do's while we were there. It is unbelievable how many wineries there are in Northern California. We spent the time beforehand and planned out our entire trip and chose which wineries we were going to visit on which day. This took some work and research but it made it SO much easier.

Today on my Winery Wednesday feature, I want to share my hands down, FAVORITE winery we visited on our trip -


Rutherford Hill Winery



Rutherford Hill Winery is located high in the hills of Napa Valley, CA. The views of the valley are absolutely breathtaking. The winery was founded in 1972 and has been making delicious wines ever since.

One of the cool features of Rutherford Hill are their wine caves. We took a tour and it was the most fun, unique wine tasting experience I've had. They actually had little stations set up throughout the caves so as we toured, we stopped periodically for wine. So fun! They can store up to 8,000 barrels of wine in their caves at one time!

Here's us at the entrance to the wine caves!

The wine caves were chilly which makes them perfect for storing wine

There were tons of alleys off the main walkway with wine barrels stacked as far as the eye could see!

We tasted a bunch of delicious wines but my favorites were their Malbec and Merlot. We brought back a bottle of the 2008 Malbec with us - soooo yummy! Merlot is the wine that Rutherford Hill is best known for and dedicates most of their production towards.

The last stop on our tasting took us to a table outside where they shared their dessert wines with us. They also gave us a bowl of these amazing chocolate covered blueberries. I brought a bag home and have been obsessed with them ever since. Luckily, I found a local store that carries them!

Whenever someone I know mentions they are headed to Napa Valley and ask for recommendations - this is where I tell them to go. If you aren't going to make it out to Napa any time soon, then find their wines online and try them out. You won't be disappointed!





No comments:

Post a Comment