Thursday, August 13, 2015

Throwback Thursday - Misty of Chincoteague






Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry

Publisher - Aladdin
Publish Date - 1947
Genre - Children's Book
Age Range - 8-12 years
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads














I read A LOT as a child; it was one of my favorite things to do and has obviously carried through into my adult life. Some of my best memories of my childhood involve books. I would hide under my covers with a flashlight late into the evenings reading until my Mom caught me. One of my Aunts also helped instill a love reading in me. She would give me books for every holiday and some of those turned in to my favorite childhood stories.

It’s only fitting that I kick off my new “Throwback Thursday” segment in her memory with my favorite childhood book that she gave to me – Misty of Chincoteague.


Overview:
On the island of Chincoteague off the coasts of Virginia and Maryland lives a centuries-old band of wild ponies. Among them is the most mysterious of all, Phantom, a rarely seen mare that eludes all efforts to capture her—that is, until a young boy and girl lay eyes on her and determine that they can’t live without her.
The frenzied roundup that follows on the next “Pony Penning Day” does indeed bring Phantom into their lives, in a way they never would have suspected. Phantom would forever be a creature of the wild. But her gentle, loyal colt Misty is another story altogether...

 I can’t even count how many times I’ve read this book and I still have the collectible hardcover version on my bookshelf today. Henry’s descriptions are so vivid that you get completely lost in Misty’s world. It’s hard not to love Misty and her feisty spirit too. The story takes you back to a simpler time in this world where hard work and skill were valued.

Taking a trip to Chincoteague island is still on my bucket list and I really hope to check it off soon. I’ve heard that even still today, the island takes you back in time to a slower paced world.

Have you been to Chincoteague or read this book? Let me know your thoughts!




No comments:

Post a Comment